♦ Course Description
Cornerstone Academic College’s Real Speaking Program is an 8week Diploma Program that allows students to understand how to speak English the way native speakers do. Students learn conversation tips to establish rapport, express opinions and master the art of small talk. Besides learning lots of vocabulary & expressions, students learn all the necessary skills to help them improve speaking abilities in many areas including Casual Speaking, Formal Speaking, Presentation Skills, Pronunciation, Business Speech, and Expressing and supporting opinions. Using what they learn in the course, students can practice with friends outside of class and enjoy speaking English during their stay in Toronto. Taking this speakingfocused course will improve students’ social skills in English.
♦ What is Real Speaking?
• No Textbook • Grammar in Real Life • Slang and Idioms • Speaking Homework • Native Speaking at a Normal Pace • Theoretical materials • Real life materials (example:Toronto newspaper) • Increased discussion time
♦ Who may enroll in Real Speaking:
- People eager to improve their English speaking ability
- People who need stronger verbal communication for their careers
- Students who want to compliment their ESL studies
- Students registered in the Work & Study Program, and need to develop stronger conversation skills for interviews and the workplace
♦ Course Goals
Students’ pronunciation, fluency, listening and speaking abilities will improve, as will their confidence to express their opinions in front of people.
♦ Real Speaking Program Overview:
- Intensive Program (28 hours per week): 8:45 15:45
- Duration: 8 weeks (4 week registrations are also accepted)
- Start Date: Official Starting Date (please see calendar for exact dates)
- Awards: Cornerstone Diploma 8 weeks completion / Cornerstone Certificate 4 weeks completion
Timetable for Adult ESL
(Level 4 ~ 6)
(Levels 6 +)
|Business||TESOL & TEYC||Real Speaking||TOEFL|
|8:45 ~ 10:00||Integrated ESL||Integrated ESL||Academic English||Business ESL||TESOL & TEYC||Integrated Speaking Skills||TOEFL|
|10:15 ~ 11:15||Integrated ESL||Integrated ESL||Academic English||Business ESL||TESOL & TEYC||Integrated Speaking Skills||TOEFL|
|11:25 ~ 12:30||Integrated ESL||Integrated ESL||Academic English||Business ESL||TESOL & TEYC||Integrated Speaking Skills||TOEFL|
|1:30 ~ 2:30||Afternoon Class||Special Electives||Academic Writing||Business Electives||TESOL & TEYC||Integrated Speaking Skills||TOEFL|
|2:40 ~ 3:45||Afternoon Class||Special Electives||Academic Writing||Business Electives||TESOL & TEYC||Business/ Media English||TOEFL|
|4:00 ~ 5:00||Free Classes: Monday & Wednesday “Open Conversation”|
* Please note that every other Friday is a half-day, therefore there is no class in the afternoon.
- Students must enter the program by scoring at the UpperIntermediate level or better on the Cornerstone placement test.
- Students may either have a TOEFL (iBT) score of 75 OR TOEIC score of 650.
- Students must be at least 17 years of age.